Author: Azim Jamal & Harvey McKinnon
Publisher: penguin Books
Side Cover text
Giving does more than just improve the lives of others; it affects our own lives profoundly. With benefits ranging from the practical, improved health and professional connections, to the intangible, creating feelings of hope and a sense of connection with others, giving is an essential but often overlooked human need.
When most of us think of giving, we usually think only terms of time or money, things we would like to share but have barely enough of for ourselves. In The Power of Giving, Azim Jamal and Harvey MsKinnon help us move beyond that idea, and guide us through the benefits and importance of giving kindness, ideas, advice, attention, skills, time, and hope to others. This down-to-earth handbook to every facets of giving uses poignant stories and real-world advice to help us determine what each of us has to give, and much more.
Full of inspirational ideas, The Power of Giving features:
- exercises to help you discover what you have to offer
- advice on teaching children how to give
- a discussion of the power of giving forgiveness
- an explanation of the benefits of giving what we ourselves need to receive
- a new afterword on the importance of giving in hard times, when we may feel least able to, yet will reap the richest rewards from doing so
The Power of Giving is a must read for anyone interested in improving the world and their own lives.